“Do we want just to let growth happen, or do we want to shape it?”
UniverCity Connections is organizing a series of forums this spring to catalyze discussion about the future of Fort Collins' character and housing attainability.
Each forum will start with several TED-style speakers to spark our thinking. We will then move into Open Space style small group discussion breakouts where you can talk with other interesting people about the topics YOU want to talk about within the theme areas.
This is an opportunity for civil civic discourse.
May 27, 2015 – Drake Centre
What do we want the story of our place to be?
- What is a truly healthy community?
- What kind of safe, friendly, inclusive community do we want?
- What are we willing to give up for housing we can afford?
- Brian Dunbar “Creating Healthy, Thriving Communities”
- Kristin Kirkpatick “What is a Truly Healthy Community?”
- Mike Thompson “Shaping our Communities through Maps”
- Lou Bieker “Celebrating the Patterns and Personality of Place”
- Fred Schmidt “Hey FoCo! What’s YOUR Secret Sauce?”
June 10, 2015 – Drake Centre
How can we all live and work here?
- Who will live and work here in the future?
- Adequate housing opportunities for all incomes and demographics
- Jobs to support a robust economy
- Terri Blackmore “Colorado Growth Will Continue – Will We Be Ready?”
- Clint Skutchan “The Future of Housing”
- Josh Birks “Managing Growth for a Robust Economy”
- Bryce Merrill “Consciously Bringing Creativity into Community”
June 24, 2015 – Drake Centre
How do we prepare for growth and change?
- Density and different types of housing
- Public transit
- How do we provide enough water?
- Matt McCrae “Walkability for a Sense of Place”
- Ryan Donovan “Alternatives to Buy and Dry”
- Carlos Hernandez “Max BRT: 50 Shades of Green”
- “Density – Friend or Foe?”
- “Quo Vadis?”
You can attend one week or all of them. Our speakers will stretch and inspire our thinking. Instead of providing answers, their goal is to spark questions and provide fodder for discussions. Following the speakers, we will have time for small group discussion on the topics YOU want to talk about. You can suggest a topic when you register for each forum, or at the forum itself.